Astro: not just another hospitality company
Astro is transforming the future of real estate. Astro is designing the future of apartments; one that leverages deep technology to improve operational efficiencies and dramatically lower costs, while at the same time improving the travel experience.
Each Astro experience is purposefully selected, designed and maintained – customized to reflect the vibe of its neighborhood. Whether your stay is two days, two months or two years, in a studio or a six-bedroom, Astro ensures a unique, yet consistent experience. We are focusing on transforming traditional apartments into beautifully decorated, furnished spaces for modern travel.
To learn more about Astro, join our community on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Now Hiring: Engineering Manager for Astro
Astro has rapid growth plans in the next few years to establish itself as an industry leader in apartment hotels by developing a strong brand of managed and owned hospitality units. Astro has just raised money from top real estate investors in Silicon Valley that have bought into Astro’s vision. As they open new markets, Astro wants to be an undisputed top reputed brand for the quality of service we provide each and every customer, both landlord and guest.
The team is dedicated to unlocking defensible and scalable demand through yield management, channel distribution, direct marketing, loyalty, and referral.
As a result, Astro is looking for engineering managers to help lead our Marketplace engineering team. You will lead a team of 3-6 engineers and collaborate in a cross-functional pod with a product manager and product designer. You are a good engineer in your own right but are passionate about leading a team and getting the most out of others. You are an excellent communicator and will work with other leaders in the engineering and tech org to set standards and goals.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a team of engineers to ship high-quality products on time. Give them clarity and energy so they can deliver results.
- Mentor a team of engineers, give them guidance, and help them achieve their goals
- Plan projects with engineers. We have an iterative style so break down big projects into 1-2 week milestones
- Communicate with your respective product and business teams. Constantly iterate on our development process
- Work with other engineering managers and teams on department-wide decisions: tech debt, development process, testing, bug handling, technical standards, developer tools, etc
- Lead architectural decisions and make recommendations
- If necessary, get your hands dirty and do some coding
Who You Are:
- 7+ years of experience as an engineer
- 3+ years experience as an engineering manager
- 7+ years of experience architecting and building complex systems.
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing successful teams.
- Deep experience with the design and use of complex, distributed systems using mechanisms like web service APIs, queuing systems, etc.
- You have a proven track record of demonstrating Astro’s core values
- You are approachable and welcome feedback
- You are detail-oriented and data-driven
- You have an ownership mentality.
- Experience with a mix of modern programming languages. Ideally, experience with both interpreted languages (e.g. Python, Ruby, etc) and compiled languages (e.g. JVM-languages, C-ish, etc).
- Experience managing SDLC for physical products, e.g. mobile / hardware / IoT
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Project leadership experience and an entrepreneurial get-stuff-done attitude.
- You prefer an iterative, fast-paced development style
- You are pragmatic and flexible. You will adapt your process to what’s needed by the company.
Perks and Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- 20 days paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays and 3 days volunteer time off (VTO)
- Home office or co-working allowance
- Fitness allowance
- Charity Matching
- $500 Annual personal development or conference allowance