Astro: not just another hospitality company
Astro is transforming the future of real estate. Astro is designing the future of apartments; one that leverages deep technology to improve operational efficiencies and dramatically lower costs, while at the same time improving the travel experience.
Each Astro experience is purposefully selected, designed and maintained – customized to reflect the vibe of its neighborhood. Whether your stay is two days, two months or two years, in a studio or a six-bedroom, Astro ensures a unique, yet consistent experience. We are focusing on transforming traditional apartments into beautifully decorated, furnished spaces for modern travel.
To learn more about Astro, join our community on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Now Hiring: Legal General Counsel for Astro
Astro has rapid growth plans in the next few years to establish itself as an industry leader in apartment hotels by developing a strong brand of managed and owned hospitality units. Astro has just raised money from top real estate investors in Silicon Valley that have bought into Astro’s vision. As they open new markets, Astro wants to be an undisputed top reputed brand for the quality of service we provide each and every customer, both landlord and guest.
The team is dedicated to unlocking defensible and scalable demand through yield management, channel distribution, direct marketing, loyalty, and referral.
The General Counsel will provide expert, strategic legal advice to management, set internal governance policies, and manage the impact and risk of external factors. They will support a rapidly growing real estate company, and accordingly, will work heavily on real estate strategy, corporate partnerships and agreements, managing external relationships, and risk management. Experience in-house is appreciated.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop legal strategy aligned with core business initiatives and Astro’s vision.
- Establish and maintain internal legal processes and advise on all legal/compliance matters.
- Draft, review, structure, and/or negotiate commercial agreements (i.e. vendor services agreements, financing, NDAs, LOIs, etc.).
- Structure and oversee various real estate agreements across a fast-scaling national portfolio (i.e. leasing agreements, commercial spaces, management contracts, etc.).
- Advice on real estate marketplace transactions by working closely with our real estate teams, leasing teams, operations teams, and local counsel.
- Support legal/compliance matters related to Marketing and PED (Product, Engineering, Design) initiatives (i.e. privacy, consumer protection, etc.).
- Advise senior leadership on legal strategy and risk issues associated with the company’s business operations and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Identify operational risks and work with stakeholders to iterate.
- Lead on dispute resolution strategy.
- Resolve disputes with landlords, contractors, tenants, and/or subtenants with respect to property management issues.
- Advise on company employment matters, policies, and personnel issues.
- Partner effectively with all departments, senior leadership, outside counsel, and other advisors.
- Assist with diligence and provide legal support in fundraising scenarios.
- Own department KPIs, reporting, and documentation related to potential liabilities.
- Manage the legal budget.
Who You Are:
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials.
- 10+ years experience at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Ability to register as in-house counsel.
- Experience facilitating sophisticated real estate transactions.
- Experience negotiating deals directly with landlords/developers/REITs and opposing counsel.
- General corporate experience.
- Excellent negotiation, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and handle conflicts with diplomacy.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, exhibiting flexibility and creativity in dealing with novel legal issues and complex transactions.
- Strong orientation toward problem-solving and decision-making in an open, collaborative, and non-political environment.
- Growth mindset, curiosity, and flexibility.
- Eagerness to iterate quickly and adapt.
- Strong relationship builder.
Perks and Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- 20 days paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays and 3 days volunteer time off (VTO)
- Home office or co-working allowance
- Fitness allowance
- Charity Matching
- $500 Annual personal development or conference allowance